The Park released this update on the “Dog Rock fire,” An Air taker crashed – pilot killed.
- It began along the El Portal road near Dog Rock around 2:30 p.m. yesterday.
- The cause is unknown.
- Highway 140 will remain closed until further notice due to fire operations and accident investigation. We anticipate this closure to be in place for 24-48 hours.
- Yosemite Valley will remain off power for the next 24 hours. Power will be restored as quickly as possible.
- The fire is 150 acres without containment estimates.
- Aviation resources will be heavily utilized to contain the perimeter.
- Evacuation orders are in effect for residents of Foresta. These evacuations will be lifted as soon as it is safe to do so.
- All of the other areas of the park remain open. California Highways 41, 120 – Big Oak Flat Road and Tioga Pass as well as the road immediately in the valley remain open.
- Smoke will likely be prevalent in El Portal in the morning and in Yosemite Valley in the afternoon.
Unrelated thought worth quoting: “Well, I’m so tired of crying, but I’m out on the road again. I’m on the road again.” – Canned heat
MrHalfDome™ – Rick Deutsch – www.HikeHalfDome.com