Half Dome – Yosemite Musing
To request, trade or give permits, Click HERE.
** Put your contact info on the request. **
Half Dome is the common person’s Mt. Everest. OK, so 29,000 feet it isn’t, but most mortals find getting to the top Half Dome is just as major a feat. We are now in the “climbing season” at Everest”– and we are getting close the same at 8,842 ft Half Dome. I find it fun to admire the Everest climbers, despite the fact that they will permanently loose brain cells by going that high. Oh well, a billion here a billion there. I have a buddy who wants us to trek to Base Camp. We shall see.
Everest if only climbable in May each year. There is a pause in the extreme weather then. Lately it seems more “rank amateurs” are paying 60 grand to be hauled up to the top. Many die trying. There are many interesting parties who will attempt it this year.
* Brit Squash Falconer, who aims to become the first woman in the world to solo pilot a paraglider from the top of Everest.
* Mark Quinn of Ireland, trying to be the youngest Everest climber.
* American Stephen Wilson USA, will be go up solo.
* Aussie Gavin Vickers and Brit Alex Holt plan to climb without supplemental oxygen.
* Brazilian Rodrigo Raineri will try to hang-glide down Everest in less than 24 hours and without bottled oxygen.
* An International climbing team will bring down old garbage and try out alternative energy sources.
Unrelated thought worth quoting: “I want to take you higher.” – Sly and the Family Stone
*MrHalfDome – Rick Deutsch – www.HikeHalfDome.com