Half Dome – Yosemite Musing
To request, trade or give permits, Click HERE.
** Put your contact info on the request. **
Today’s guest blog is from Blog reader Normon Solomonwitz of Stockton. He dug up an interesting tidbit about a little known trail builder at Yosemite. This info might be on the mid-term. Thanks Norm – good stuff.
After its creation on Oct 1, 1890 as a national park, cavalry troops patrolled Yosemite. They were the first park rangers. The Army officer in charge was the defacto superintendent of the park.
Sergeant Gabriel Sovulewski arrived in 1895. His job was to control the sheep and cattle grazing in protected areas. In 1906, he was assigned the back breaking job of trail building. In just two years he became the Army Superintendent of the Park. After he left the Army, in 1920, he was appointed the civilian Park Supervisor in the recently created National Park Service (1916.)
Over 35 years, he was responsible for the construction, improvement and relocation of 400 miles of trail, with an emphasis on taking those trails to scenic viewpoints. One ground rule was that no trail grade exceed 30 percent. In the Nevada Fall corridor he was responsible for the stone retaining walls below Clark Point, the Rock Cut between Clark Point and Nevada Fall (1931), the comfort station at the Vernal Fall footbridge (1934) and rebuilding two miles of the Half Dome trail. It was said of Sovulewski “He didn’t care whether they put a monument over his grave after he was gone: His monument was on the mountains and the trails that lead into the High Sierras.”
Gabriel Sovulewski was buried in the Yosemite Pioneer Cemetery – which he had earlier outlined with Incense Cedars.
Unrelated thought worth quoting: “Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” – Albert Einstein
*MrHalfDome – Rick Deutsch – www.HikeHalfDome.com