Half Dome – Yosemite Musing
*Note – I am not affiliated with NPS or any other govt agency. The following are strictly my thoughts. Cut the Park some slack – this is a real hairball. I’m only sharing these tips with my closest friends.
1. Permits are needed every day in 2011. In 2010, when permits were required on Fri-Sun – they all went in about 9 minutes.
2. The rules for permits can be found on my website – www.HikeHalfDome.com
3. Permits become “bookable” at 07:00:01 Pacific time on March 1 for May or June; April 1 for hikes in July; May 1 for hikes in August; June 1 for hikes in September and July 1 for hikes in October. See the YNP website for more info (with more links there to additional info) www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/hdpermits.htm
4. To obtain a permit, go to www.recreation.gov. DO NOT waste time calling. You are advised to be registered on recreation.gov well in advance and practice the purchase process days before. They will ask questions that you do not want to waste time thinking about. Set up your user name, password and profile. Have all this done days before. On March 1 (or the day for your desired month) get all logged in and watch your clock – set to the EXACT time.
5. They call Half Dome a “tour.” As of press time, the “tour” was not listed and I had to do a search for Half Dome. This should be fixed by March 1. Currently the direct link to book HD tickets is <HERE>. But today I am getting this message: Our apologies. We are experiencing some difficulties.
6. Also, the site was still set up for 2010 – lotsa of bogus info. I have asked the park for guidance. They will be fixing things before March 1. Check back to this blog for updates.
7. Enter your requested date and # of tickets you want (up to 4). Have a couple alternate dates ready in case they are sold out.
8. Click on FIND TOUR TIMES – this is currently not working. There are NO tour times for HD – it’s all day. They should have a default there.
9. Again, enter the # of tickets next to General Admission.
10. Hit BOOK TOUR. This should take you to a credit card page to complete the purchase.
11. Practice all this several times the day before before you go live at 7 am March 1. Pretend as if you are going to buy tickets all the way up to “BUY NOW.” The system will not let you actually purchse since they are not available until 7 am March 1. But if you do all this, you can be set up and hit BUY NOW for real at 07:00:01. Remember, you are competing with most of the free world for permits. But no more the 7 billion will be trying.
1. You can get up to 4 on each entry into the website.
2. Keep going back in if your group is >4.
3. Have others in your group try for 4. They will cost you $1.50 each. Please turn in the ones you don’t need (no refund) to recreaton.gov.They will go back into the pool.
4. Have your credit card info listed on a text page, so you can copy/paste it without wasting time to hand type.
5. As in 2010, I will set up a Blog thread “To Get or Give permits click here” Page once the cables are up. We had over 400 use it last year (most wanting permits, but many had extra.)
Good luck and Carpe Diem!
Unrelated thought worth quoting: “The early bird catches the worm.” – Adage
*MrHalfDome – Rick Deutsch – www.HikeHalfDome.com