Half Dome – Yosemite Musing
My moles just said a ranger told them the cable target is now Jun 17. Not confirmed but ugh. I have a trip on the 23rd. Here’s a photo taken by the park service on Tuesday. You are looking at the approach to sub dome. A lot has melted since, but you can understand the dilemma.
The problem is the HUGE amount of snow on the trail and the sub dome. They just cannot get up to put up the cables into the support poles … and the trail is dangerous. So we wait. It takes 2 full days to install the poles and boards. Plus they have to haul them up from storage.
Depending on snow elsewhere. I recommend some alternatives:
1. Yosemite Falls. It’s 6 hrs RT but you can continue on to Eagle Peak or all the way to El Cap.
2. Tenaya Lake to Cloud’s Rest is awesome… 7 hrs RT. You get to look down at 10,000 feet to the cables on HD.
3. Try the Big Oak Flat original road…go from just west of El Cap and follow the 1876 road up to Tamarack Flat. Lotsa rock slides to bolder over.
4. Try from Glacier Point down the Panorama Trail to the valley … a long day.
5. Try from the Glacier Point area to Taft Point, Dewey Point and Stanford Pt to Old Inspiration Pt.
6. Take John Muir Trail up to Lake Merced…..FULL all day hike.
Unrelated thought worth quoting: “Now, the world don’t move to the beat of just one drum, What might be right for you, may not be right for some. A man is born, he’s a man of means. Then along come two, they got nothing but their jeans. But they got, Diff’rent Strokes.” – R.I.P. Gary Coleman
*Mr. Half Dome – Rick Deutsch – www.HikeHalfDome.com