1. Go to http://www.recreation.gov/
2. Create a profile for yourself.
3. 2 days BEFORE your desired date and BEFORE noon, login.
4. On the left side “Where,” type in Yosemite
5. Enter “interest in permits & wilderness”
6. Go to CABLES on HALF DOME
7. Enter date – Group size
8. Hit BOOK PERMIT
9. Read all the safety information and check the “acknowledge” box & Pay
10. Late that night and the next day, login again, go to your account (or call recreation.gov at 1-877-444-6777 ) and see if you won. You can also do all this via phone.
11. Make copies for everyone in your party to show the ranger at sub dome. If you are in the park and don’t have access to a printer, record the permit number to tell the ranger. He/she will have a list of awarded permits for the day.
Permits will only be valid if the trip leader and/or alternate specified on the permit is part of the group and has valid ID to present.
Once you have printed your permit, group size cannot be changed, the permit cannot be cancelled and no refunds can be made. The $5 permit fee is fully refundable if you cancel your permit more than two days before the hiking date specified on your permit.
Unrelated thought worth quoting: “Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass on a summer day listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is hardly a waste of time.” - John Lubbock
MrHalfDome™ – Rick Deutsch – www.HikeHalfDome.com